BACK GROUNDWorld Forestry Day is celebrated every 21st of March and it commemorates the contribution and value of forests and forestry to communities. It has been celebrated around the world for over 30 years to remind people of the importance of forests and the many benefits we gain from them. The concept of having a World Forestry Day originated at the 23rd General Assembly of the European Confederation of Agriculture in 1971. March 21st, the autumnal equinox in the Southern Hemisphere, and the vernal equinox in the Northern, was chosen as a day dedicated to increase public awareness on the three (3) key facets of forestry: production, protection and recreation.
BENEFITS OF OUR FOREST
- FORESTS are essential for life on Earth. They give us shade and shelter, refuge and refreshment, clean air, soil and water. They contribute towards the environmental, economical and socio-economical well being of a people and nation.
- The forests help regulate our planet's temperature, provide us with oxygen and absorb pollution. Our forests are a continuing supply of nutrients and homes for all species including humans, after all before the city there was a forest, we just cut it down to build within it.
- Today, with a growing global population and subsequent demand for forest products, the forests of the world are at risk from widespread deforestation and degradation.
- Dying Wildlife. Diminishing Watersheds, fish spawning streams are shrinking. Powerful yet to be discovered medicines are wiped out daily!
- Global warming and climate change looming!
- We need to open our eyes to our behavior, our actions towards our forests. Change of attitude/ perceptions/ mindset.
- Sustainable Management of Forest an absolute necessity.
DID YOU KNOW?
- APPROXIMATELY 35% of St. Lucia is covered with some type of forests but that’s still not enough!!
- There are 10 forest reserves in St. Lucia, a total of 7295 hectares.
Enrich your environment plant a tree today!!